User Story is a small container of feature that gives value to the customer. An example of User Story:
Title: Hardware store basic search working
Description: As a search user, I need the ability to search for hardware by brand so that I can more efficiently find what I’m looking for.
- The search mechanism has the ability to enter a hardware brand.
- The search will have a list of hardware brands from which to select.
- Searching will return all hardware that matches the selected brand, or a message indicating that there are no matches.
- If there are more results than can fit on one page, the system will provide the capability to view the list in pages or sections.
In Yodiz, User Story estimation methods are Hours (01-99) and “Points”. You can choose among different Point Estimate methods:
- Linear (1,2,3,4,5,6…99,100)
- Fibonacci (0,1,2,3,5,8,13)
- Scale-100 (0, 0.5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 20, 40, 100)
- T-Shirt Size (XS, S, L, XL, XXL)
Each team usually selects one estimation method for their project and stick to it throughout the project duration. In order to set or change estimation access method, follow the navigation below:
Go to top right settings drop-down > Manage Projects > Settings > Estimate Settings
User Story Estimation Benefits
Estimation methods help each team to predict the effort needed on a User Story. It has proven more efficient to keep story size smaller and consistent as possible. An Estimation number also helps teams in predicting item velocity. If you try to accomplish a larger User Story, the potential failure is much greater. Failure in accomplishing a big user story impacts Team velocity more as well.
Good estimate becomes more crucial if you are working on a feature whose delivery can affect another team’s development plan. Most Agile coaches recommend keeping a story max. size to medium (point 3). If a story is larger than that, break it down to further User Stories.
Estimation method for each project is selected at the creation of the project and can only be updated later by Project Admin Or Admin.